Hide glue is a safe, natural and nontoxic glue. It can be used as a wood glue, making musical instruments, crackling paint as well as many other uses. It is an easy substance to make. In this tutorial, you will learn How to make glue from rawhide.
1.Soak rawhide, or in this case dog rawhide chew toy.. in about 3 cups of water.
2. This was soaked for 24hours, and im SAVING the water.
3. I use the water left from the soak, to simmer the cut pieces of rawhide.
4. Cutting up the rawhide into thin strips.
5. There is about 3x more water than hide.
6. I bring only to a slow simmer. The sides can bubble up slightly as the walls of the container will be hotter than the contents. I only stir a few times during the 45 min to 1 hour simmer.
7. I let cool for an hour. Then I cleaned out an old tobacco tin for a container of the glue.
8. A cotton bandanna was used for a strainer. It just kept large particulates from getting into my lower holding container. I throw out the large pieces in bandanna and simmering vessel.
9. Be sure to force the remainder of the strained glue through the cloth. This is very concentrated glue!
10. This is 2 hours after cooling and straining. Its flexible and a bit spongy in texture. From this point you can re heat with the remaining moisture in this flexible state to make a very strong natural glue/binder.
If you let it sit in a dry place your glue will shrink even further and moisture will slowly evaporate from this large spongy cake. When you have hard breakable glue, you can simply add moisture to it and slowly re heat to reconstitute the glue for use in the future.